Monday, March 29, 2010

Micheal Moore

Just finished Micheal Moore's newest film "Capitalism a love affair" one of the main problems I noticed through out the film was that my brothers face (and mine as well) seemed to have a puzzled expression on it about half way through. This was because neither of us had a clear idea of what capitalism is. So I looked it up. My trusted friend Wikipedia told me something that sparked my attention. "There is no consensus on the definition of capitalism, nor how it should be used as an analytical category." Funny isn't it? However I did manage to find a rather confusing and overly literal definition on Dictionary.com "an economic system in which investment in and ownership of the means of production, distribution, and exchange of wealth is made and maintained chiefly by private individuals or corporations, esp. as contrasted to cooperatively or state-owned means of wealth." So As you can see I didn't really find anything specific. I did manage to get the gist of the movie though.
I loved the part where the workers went on strike and finally after several days got media attention. I loved the part where the 'tax-payers of America' (an overly used term) got evicted. Most of all I loved the part when Micheal Moore tried to make a citizens arrest, but could not. Now so as not to confuse anyone, I should say that I did not love these scenes because of what happened. I loved them because it once again was a wake up call to me. The world is not perfect like I thought it was. Let me explain. I lead a very sheltered life and like most wealthy white girls life in a upper-middle class suburban neighborhood (A neighborhood that our mayor lives in). So it was a complete shock when I attended Driving school this last week. My driving school is not in the area where I live but rather in a ghetto part of town. This school had several nice kids in it who I have befriended. On the contrary some are not so nice. Some gang members in it are not so nice. You see last week there was a riot outside the building. With about 40 black teenage males. And during our break (while everyone was constantly peering out our guarding door) a gun shot went off. That was the first time I had ever heard a gun. By that time police officers had already been coming and going breaking up the fights. Yet the boys kept coming back until that gun shot rang. No media showed up. Later on in the news I heard nothing about what happened. And all the while in that class room some of the kids including the teacher acted as if this was normal. Because for them it was.
So much like my ghetto experience this was another wake up call. The world has a lot of fixing to do. And when I say I loved this wake up call I mean it. This might sound sick and maybe twisted but I'm happy to know that there's a problem out there. I've grown up worrying about what college to go to or what to wear. (Even though this sounds completely contradictory I don't like having those problems) I want problems that mean something that I can make a meaningful difference in by changing. So it's nice to hear that I can actually fight for this. So let's fight for what we believe in whether it be health care or capitalism or tax-cuts. Just care. That's all that really matters, as long as people care we're in good shape.

No comments: